Monday, February 24, 2014

A Problem That Plaques Me Daily....

So I have an issue I deal with. Every day. It follows me wherever I go. I can not escape it. I'm hoping I'm not the only multitasking mother this happens to. Feel free to jump in with comments.

I AM A NON-FINISHER (I made up my own name for it. I'll explain).

I have about 6,000 half finished "things" I start and just never finish. I start the laundry, and end up leaving that one lonely load to hang out on the basement floor until the next laundry day. I start cleaning out my cupboards, and make it through the first shelf. Still have expired food in there somewhere. I start cleaning out my kids closets, and end up just moving the items to another location. Not cleaned, just relocated.

I start craft projects. I have 3 unfinished knit blankets in my attic. I hope the squirrels living there are using them for warmth this winter. No one else will ever see them. I have a half refinished patio set in my basement. Maybe the two toned look will come back in style.

I have a passionate heart. I love a great many things in my life. But I find myself distracted. My entire life is distracting. School meetings, doctor appointments, cleaning house, teaching my children to love life, seeing family, going to work...... It's a never ending list of things to do. And truthfully, I believe my son got his ADHD from me.

I'm sure there are plenty of mothers thinking 'I finish everything I start.' And I applaud you. But me, I don't have it in me. I forget essential things. OR I remember things 15 minutes after I was supposed to be there. I implemented a post-it system. But ultimately, I forget to put the post-its where I can see them.

I am trying to get better at it. I'm working on being a more attentive mother, a better house cleaner, and a more helpful daughter. My mother routinely asks me to come do things. I usually just say I'm busy. I don't have the heart to tell her that I have started 15 things today and finished none, but that I'm sitting on the couch watching Paw Patrol with my son for the 10th time today.

Someday I will get my shit straight, but for now I am owning being a non-finisher. They say the first step to recovery is to recognize the problem. I know I do it. And maybe tomorrow I'll try to fix it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment