Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Gym

As if being a stay-at-home-working-still mother wasn't a busy enough job, this mom decided to go to the gym. Consistently. Like as "a thing".

There's a back story to the gym. Unfortunately, it's not very interesting. I want to run a 5K. I paid my registration fee, and suddenly realized 'I DON'T RUN!' Which is how the membership to the gym happened.

Because I decided to stay home during the day with the boys, I can't just go anytime. I either have to go really early before Daddy goes to work, or really late after I get out of work. My first gym experience I chose the really late option. Really early sounded more like work.

This, folks, is a bad plan. Really late means a few things in terms of gym speak. There are actually a lot of really good runners who go to the gym as late as I went. I felt a little silly just walking the 5K (you didn't think I was going to start right out jogging did you???). I also had a fun little reaction. I came home really hyper.

This normally is what people want when they go to the gym. I wanted to be tired and wanted to come home and go to sleep. This is not what happened. I left the gym, went to work for an hour, went to the grocery store (at midnight), put said groceries away, played silly facebook games and didn't fall asleep until after 2. I'm sure eventually I'll get used to this. But for now, it seriously messed up my today.

Being a non-finisher, I'm not sure how long I'm going to stick with the whole fitness thing. I'm sure it will make me feel better about myself. I'm also sure it will make my really busy days even busier. In the end family balance is the most important thing. I feel I get enough exercise just accomplishing my every day life.

OH, and for my curious friends, I plan to go to the gym really late often. Really early still sounds too much like work.

No comments:

Post a Comment