Friday, April 18, 2014

Your lack of responsibility is making my life harder....

My son has been good at preschool for about 2 weeks. This is a huge deal, since we usually have some kind of "incident". My son is a huge fan of growling at his friends when he gets mad. Apparently this is distressing to the school staff. I guess growling got added to the list of CHILD CAN NOT's after the school shootings started. I personally think growling is ok. I growl at people, and I'm in my thirties. Certainly beats hitting people.

And yesterday, I got to hang out at my son's school for Family Day. Let me give you a piece of advice. If your child's school has a family day, don't go. Say you have to work, or give yourself food poisoning, or something similar. Just don't go. I really enjoyed hanging out with MY kid, but there is no way that hanging out with 16 preschool kids is enjoyable.

By the time I convinced him to leave school 30 minutes early, I was ready to punch people. The fact that my 5 year old manages to deal with that EVERY DAY and not punch some kids lights out deserves a prize. And he got one, we took him to Hoopla's and played a bunch of games. Because I left that building so impressed with him that I didn't know what to do about it.

I am convinced that everyone aged 3-7 is an asshole. I recently called my children assholes. I believe they are. They do things on purpose to make me mad. Trust me, I know it. BUT, they listen. They are the kind of kids who will be total assholes until someone gives them the stink eye and growls to stop what they are doing right now. (Again, I'm 31 and I growl. It's a common reaction to annoyance I think.) Some of these other kids, I could have yelled at the top of my lungs and thrown things at them and they still would have been assholes.

There are kids who live here on our street. My kid plays with them. These kids are at MY house, and not listening to me. I actually sent one of them home for being a total jerk to ME. I'm big. I'm grown. And if I wouldn't have gotten arrested, I would have hauled him across the porch and beat his ass. It was at that moment I completely understood why back in the day, my neighbors beat my ass before sending me home to my mother to get my ass beat again. I wish that were still the case. I'm totally ok with that. I hated it then, but now as a parent, it needs to be done.

I, in the last week, have watched more kids get away with things they shouldn't than ever before. I'm also positive that the reason the amount of people in jail is going up is because more people aren't smacking their children. I'm not talking about smacking and leaving bruises kind of child abuse punishment. But there is nothing wrong with smacking a kids rear end every now and then. It didn't kill me. It didn't kill you. And if you tell me your parents never hit you, I want sworn statements from them. Because I don't believe it.

So here's my advice of the day. Stop being afraid of your children. If they are no taller than your shoulders, smack their ass when they are being totally bad. If they weigh less than half of what you weigh, wash their mouth out with soap when they are verbally belligerent. Take control. Be parents. Those of us actually being parents are having a really hard time over here. It's so hard to make our own children follow rules when they see other children running around having free reign. I can't control my child because you aren't controlling yours.

They are kids. Kids need to learn somehow. And how will that happen if you don't teach them? It's not the schools responsibility to discipline your child. It's their job to teach them. It's not your neighbors job to discipline your child. It's their job to keep an eye on them while your children are at their house. It's not your parent's job to discipline your child. They raised you, and now it's your turn.

Take some responsibility for what you created. Because plain and simple, and for all of social media to see, I will start doing it if you can't. I have no problem going to school and saying that the next child who hits my child with no consequences will be getting a visit from me at home. I'll be happen to share my ideas with their parents. I have no problem yelling at kids who aren't mine. If you're going to be at MY house, you will follow MY rules. Or you won't be here anymore.

In case you missed it, I'm not scared of my kids. I'm also not scared of other kids. And I'm not scared of their parents either. Straighten up and fly right people. Raise your damn kids. Have a damn job. Get with it. I'm tired of doing it for you. And I'm tired of my kid thinking it's ok to be a freeloading-constant-wanting-always-asking-expecting-stuff-for-nothing-whiny-hitting-screaming-bully-asshole because YOUR kids are teaching him that.

Parents should have to pass some kind of test before they can bring their kids home from the hospital....

No comments:

Post a Comment